We all want to save money and most of us want to save our planet (you there, the one that doesn't care about our lovely little Earth? go away). The great news is that almost all of the things I've done to be kinder to my home are also things that save me money. If ever there was a total win-win situation, I think this is it. So on this greenest of all green days (you there, the one who doesn't look at the calendar, it's St. Patrick's Day. go put on something green).
Here's a little list of things I've done recently or maybe have in the works (the works being my brain so no guarantees):
- Ride a bike to your destination instead of driving or just for fun and exercise. This week I've done both. I've ridden to the store for groceries and I've ridden out into the country for entertainment. Pedaling as fast as I could down the sidewalk with the wind in my face and a giant field off to my right was the most alive I've felt in a long time.
- Eat vegetarian or even vegan if you think you're up to it. You may wonder how this saves the planet but the amount of energy and water put into raising animals for consumption is over the top. Just sayin.
- Re-purpose old clothes for new uses. I'm making a few things out of old t-shirts that will be posts of their own soon. One of the easiest is making re-useable shopping bags out of them by sewing the bottom shut, chopping off the sleeves and a bit of the neck. Wait I'll just get you the tutorial link...hold on.... http://www.marthastewart.com/article/good-thing-t-shirt-bag There you go!
- Old towels that have seen their last shower can be cut up and used as cleaning rags. Instead of going through a billion paper towels when It came time to clean my old apartment before moving out, I just tore up a few towels and used those instead.
- Buy more "un-prepared" "un-packaged" foods. I try to buy everything in bulk even if it means a half hour of cleaning and chopping at home. Some things I do buy pre-packed but if I can do it myself for less, I opt for that.
These are just a few random things I've done in the last few weeks but there are so many! Have any of you done anything lately that saved you money and was good for the planet? Please comment and share with the rest of the class.
If you aren't wearing green, pinch yourself. I'm too tired after all the vegetable chopping. The only thing I have the energy for is pinching pennies.
Pinching is free and free is cheap.