Monday, February 14, 2011

Fetched & Etched

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/2348976/barter-amp-scrimp?claim=8qp3vqt9ecc">Follow my blog with bloglovin</a>

Happy St. Valentine's Day! Today I want to share an easy gift idea for any occasion. The spices I like to use come in these great little glass jars that I was actually throwing away (horrors) when they could easily be made into something else or re-used for spices I buy that come in those annoying plastic bags or the bulk spice area.  I made this gift for myself but you could make it for a guy or a girl.  

Supplies: 
Empty glass jar (cleaned of all paper and glue residue..soak in super hot water and use a razor blade to scrape), Glass Etching cream, old paintbrush, Letter Stickers, tape, gloves.  

Just stick the letters on to say what you want.  I chose to make a little set that says "ODDS & ENDS" not sure what I was going to use them for.  Then tape off a square around the letters and really rub all the sticky areas down with the hard end of your painbrush so that the cream cant leak underneath. Put on your gloves, follow the instructions on the Etching Cream and let it sit. I think my instructions said five minutes but I got better results waiting more like 20 before rinsing it off.  I use a razor blaze (carefully) to get all the stickers and sticky residue off the jars.  Wash with soap and water and dry.  

Now go pick some wildflowers for yourself and don't forget it's okay to be your own Valentine...after all, we can't truly love someone else until we love ourselves first!!

(always feel free to ask questions here if i dont make something clear enough and please send pics of your own if you give this a shot!)

4 comments:

  1. oh my, these are so cute! i always feel guilty throwing those away too but never could think of anything to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I always hang onto them, but never do anything with them. this a great idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. best blog yet. thanks. now to find a local store that sells this stuff. yeah right.

    To love is to value...the man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone. --Ayn Rand

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks girls, it was fast, fun and thrifty...

    ReplyDelete