Monday, February 28, 2011

Learning to Fly: Packing Up





Today found me up to my earlobes in packing.  A week from tomorrow i'll be following a UHaul full of my belongings as I make my way north.  Moving has always been one of the things in life that causes me the most stress.  It's easy to start wasting money on things like special boxes for packing, packing tape, bubble wrap, packing paper, labels, markers, wine...anything that will make the process "easier".  This time I planned ahead so that no money would get thrown away on things I don't actually need.  I have random bits of good enough tape in drawers. I have dishtowels and linens that can be used to wrap breakables. Three nearly new rolls of Christmas wrapping paper were under my bed.  The junk drawer gave birth to about 10 different colors of Sharpie markers.  As for the wine, I broke open a bottle last night that I'd been saving for a special occasion (if a bottle is good, it makes the occasion special).   The boxes are ones that I started to gather weeks ago so that I wouldn't be buying any.  Paying for things other people are throwing away or recycling is just something I still can't wrap my mind around.


This morning I started the packing by writing inspirational quotes on the sides of my boxes before slowly and methodically packing my things. Whenever I've had to pack up and move I like to play the "Toss It" game.  This is a game best played after a glass of wine and with some great music playing.  Check back tomorrow when I'll explain the rules.  The good news is, I win every time!


For now i'm calling it quits and allowing myself a few hours of non-packing bliss.  Tomorrow will be here soon enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment