Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas On Repeat

This morning I was thinking about how even perfect strangers are nicer to each other on Christmas Day. People in Los Angeles don't do a lot of smiling or saying hello. But today? Today strangers on the trail smiled genuine smiles and nodded. In line at the coffee shop, I heard a customer thank the employee for working today. A gentle sense of ease was over this part of the city and I'm guessing stretched far and wide. Family texts abounded and friends sent words of love. Grandma's were called and video's of nieces and nephews drunk on Christmas were deemed the "cutest thing ever". 

Why is today the day we all reach out with peace and goodwill toward men? Why can't we find the joy of Christmas all year long? I urge anyone reading this to make a commitment with me to count every day just as special as this one. It won't be easy, but it's well worth the attempt. Just don't look at me funny if I wish you a Merry Christmas in July. 

I'll leave you with my favorite snippet from The Grinch Who Stole Christmas:


He puzzled and puzzed till his puzzler was sore. 
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. 
Maybe Christmas, he thought... doesn't come from a store. 
Maybe Christmas, perhaps... means a little bit more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment