Friday, December 21, 2012

Finding Your Portkey



"A Portkey is an object enchanted to instantly bring anyone touching it to a specific location. Most of the time, a Portkey is an everyday object that would not draw the attention of a Muggle. Travelling by Portkey is said to feel like having a hook "somewhere behind the navel" pulling the traveller to their location."

If you were given the task of picking one moment from your life to live in for eternity, what would it be? Can you pinpoint a moment that would be pure bliss for you to spend forever lost in?  Think about it. I'll wait....Okay did you find one? It's not easy is it. I bet some people have so many they couldn't possibly choose, while others can't think of one. 

Our Pod Club pick this week was Audio Dharma: "The Two Moons". This episode was discussing how our lives are overly busy (I'd guess never more so than the holiday season) but how we can find moments of quiet, of stillness and peace. The second moon was defined as one that is quieter and more luminous than the first moon. The speaker wanted to encourage listeners to look for ways to find that second moon more often.

How do you feel when you're busy? My symptoms are a tightness in my upper chest, shallow breathing, spinning thoughts leading to lack of perspective peppered with random aches and pains from angry body parts. How do you feel when you're calm? When I meditate I feel my entire body relax and yet maintain a focused sense of concentration. My thoughts run rampant as they will, but I feel a space between the thoughts and my true inner self. I feel the quiet.

Have you found a moment yet?  Would it encourage you to dig deeper for one if I told you it could be used as a magical device? A way to transport yourself from the overly glorified world of busy to that serene moment of wellness and life? 

(I have to make a correction of sorts to something said in this podcast. I think when the speaker used the example of the Horcrux from Harry Potter, she really meant Portkey. A Horcrux is considered dark magic and used by the evil to deposit pieces of their souls in objects in order to become immortal. A Portkey is a magical object used to transport from one place to another. I'm going with Portkey for this one.)(Stop judging me as a major Harry Potter fan. I bet you thought the same thing.)

My Portkey moment happened this year. I truly felt different after it happened and I go back to it nearly daily as a way to remind myself of what truly matters to me. It was beautiful. The whole universe opened up and my eyes were opened to the connectedness of everything and the peace that is possible for me. Happiness is an option. Letting go is okay, it's more than okay - it's vital.  

I'm not a religious person, still an atheist actually, but I could refer to this as a spiritual awakening. It's kept me searching for my own middle way to walk. Daily I'm learning to "stop the glorification of busy". I'm learning to slow down and smile more, to stop telling myself stories that lead to life dramas. 

I encourage you to find yourself a Portkey Moment. Start with what you have, even small moments of stillness will do. When you find the tightness settling in and your nerves frazzled beyond recognition, close your eyes and breathe and use your Portkey. Transport yourself to a place that is quiet, more luminous and truly peaceful. 
...

Pod Club is a weekly meeting of ears and the brains between those ears. Check in on Monday when Jill and I pick an episode for the week and give it a spin yourself. All podcasts are free through their websites or iTunes.  Come back for a visit on Friday (or close to it) to see what we had to say. Leah over at Soft Spiral joins us once in a while as well.  I'd love to hear what you have to say! Comment here or join us by posting your thoughts on your own blog. 

1 comment:

  1. You did such a lovely job on this post! Sorry I didn't write a response this week, but after reading yours I know I could never have said it better.

    ReplyDelete