Saturday, November 3, 2012

Houston, We Have Liftoff or Furlough Schmirlo

Spaceship Endeavor Griffith Observatory Flyover
The last week has been a roller coaster of ups and downs with some ins and outs thrown in just in case we got too comfortable. Almost exactly a year to the day that we moved to Los Angeles for Rob's new job, he was placed on furlough. We weren't entirely taken by surprise as some problems had arisen with his employer in the last few months, but that didn't make it easy. What kind of word is "Furlough" anyway? You're not fired but we aren't paying you either. It's the purgatory of employment. My husband is never one to sit around and complain, he's a man of action. The first thing he did was put feelers for job openings. We spent a lot of time discussing different possibilities and nearly drove each other crazy dissecting the pros and cons of each. It's exhausting to do this over and over when the job in question isn't even officially offered yet. How many hours can you spend debating something that might not even be an option? The answer is every waking hour and some of the sleeping ones too. 

As of today, we can stop the frantic pace we've been keeping and prepare for a new job. It's scary to accept something not knowing if it's the right thing for us or for the future but in the end we are thankful for income and have to trust that we can make the best of anything. I used to agonize about every simple decision (I'm such a Libra) but with more life experience comes a sense of calm. Now I've learned that nothing is forever if you don't want it to be. We are the authors of our own stories. I have a tattoo on my left wrist of an old bookplate.  Ex Libris means "from the library of" and it's a reminder to me daily that my life story is my own. This last week has only deepened that knowledge for me. 

I hope you all are having a good day and a wonderful weekend. Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight. Savor that extra hour of sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment