Friday, November 16, 2012

Pod Club : Homeless

I went on a quick walk to take a few pictures of what I see every day.


This weeks podcast felt empty to me. It's hard to explain, but hearing these voices talk about homelessness and struggle were nothing compared to what I see every single day.  

Los Angeles has the highest rate of homelessness in America. This does not surprise me one bit. I have only to walk a block or two to encounter more than one person who clearly has no home and no hope. I don't even have to leave my apartment. If I just watch the sidewalk for a while I will undoubtedly see a slow moving brown and gray mass inch by. Looking closely, I can make out a shopping cart and a human form. It's so common here that I no longer even know how to feel about it. I can't save them all. I can't even save one of them. Once in a while I hand over change but do I believe it helps? Not really.  

The problem is so big I have a hard time seeing any solution. I know it stems from a multitude of root problems such as the deinstitutionalization back in the 60's. Mental illness, disability, lack of education, substance abuse...just a few of the problems running rampant in our country. So what do we do? 

Really, I'm asking! What do we do?? Maybe this city has worn me down. 

I'm hoping my co Pod Clubbers, Just Jill and Soft Spiral , have some inspiration for me. 

Pod Club is a weekly meeting of ears and the brains between those ears. We choose one on Monday and say one or two things about it on Friday on our blogs. Love to hear what you might think! One of these days I'll get a comment out of you anonymous readers out there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment