Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Two Kinds of People


"There are two kinds of people. One kind, you can just tell by looking at them at what point they congealed into their final selves. It might be a very nice self, but you know you can expect no more surprises from it. Whereas, the other kind keep moving, changing... They are fluid. They keep moving forward and making new trysts with life, and the motion of it keeps them young. In my opinion, they are the only people who are still alive. You must be constantly on your guard against congealing."
- Gail Godwin



I'm sitting in the Burbank airport people watching. Well, technically I have to look down at my computer to type this, but you get the idea. My flight was delayed by an hour which gave me an immense amount of time to kill before even beginning my journey to Dallas. It's so fascinating to watch and listen to people in an airport. In situations like this, where we are all forced onto the same level playing field for a few minutes or hours, true colors shine. The quote above sums it up quite well. As I take stock of the masses of waiting travelers, I can see that clear difference between those who "go with the flow" and "roll with the punches" with panache versus the panic stricken who don't approve of life not going the way they planned. Which am I? I used to be an uptight, self assured, intense girl. I don't think she had much fun to be honest. Slowly but surely I'm melting into the flow and I feel younger and younger as this transformation takes place. With this fluidity comes the freedom to be curious about everything, to approach the world with the heart of a child. Maybe you don't want to feel this vulnerable, but I guarantee it's the best way to go on this ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment